Esta página web también está disponible en español aquí.
EDGE Version 3.0 (V3) is here! The Beta is live at edgebuildings.com by simply selecting Version 3.0.0 from the drop down menu. Certification of projects created with Version 3.0 is currently available if selected by the project team. IFC plans to make EDGE V3 the default version as of October 2021. The overall process for certification will remain exactly the same.
What to Expect from EDGE V3
V3 will make the EDGE App more streamlined and intuitive, while providing greater control and increased sophistication for more precise results. Here’s what you can expect:
- Up to 15 different unit types may be modeled within a single residential project without the need for bundling subprojects.
- A new baseline includes the growing use of certain technologies (such as LED lighting) and local regulations where they’re being implemented.
- Every country in the world was added to the EDGE App, with local currencies provided.
- Building lengths were added to each of the building orientation dimensions.
- The climate data section was expanded to include humidity and wind speed.
- Calculators were updated and streamlined. For example, natural ventilation can now be used for any size opening.
- The default thickness of materials are dependent on building typology to more accurately display embodied energy.
More information on the release of EDGE V3 is available in EDGE Technical Update No. 28 and we also recommend you watch IFC’s recent webinar introducing EDGE V3:
Important Deadlines for EDGE V2 Projects
The deadline to register Version EDGE V2 projects is September 30, 2021. Please note that “register" means that all registration steps are complete, including signing a certification agreement and paying the $300 registration fee. GBCI recommends that customers with EDGE V2 projects apply for registration via the EDGE App by August 20, 2021 so that they have time to sign the certification agreement and complete the registration fee payment.
Please note that all EDGE V2 projects must achieve Final EDGE Certification by December 2025.
EDGE Exam and EDGE Expert Training Impacts
GBCI's EDGE Technical Workshop (EDGE Experts Training) was initially developed with EDGE V2 as the current version of the EDGE APP. The workshop is designed to help you pass the older version of the EDGE Exam, which you will be able to take through June 30, 2023. The older EDGE Exam does NOT cover EDGE V3.
IFC has recently released a new version of the EDGE Exam, slightly updated for EDGE V3. However, students will still have the ability to take the older EDGE Exam through June 30, 2023. Students may also request an extension from IFC.
For students that are not able to take the older version of the EDGE Exam before it is retired, GBCI will provide free access to an updated version of the online on-demand workshop as it will be slightly updated for EDGE V3. We anticipate the updated (V3) workshop will be available around May 2023.
Please note that once you earn it, your EDGE Expert credential will continue to be 100% valid for all versions of EDGE going forward. No version number is listed on your EDGE Expert certificate.
Question or Concerns?
Should you have any feedback on EDGE V3, the EDGE Exam, or questions about how your current and/or future projects may be impacted, please email IFC at [email protected].