EDGE Experts & Auditors
What is an EDGE Expert?
EDGE Experts are professionals who help a developer, owner artand larger project team understand the EDGE standard, software, and certification system. The scope of an EDGE Expert’s work includes advice on green design and assistance with preparation of an application for EDGE certification. Learn more about the EDGE Expert role.
What is an EDGE Auditor?
Current EDGE Experts may apply to also become EDGE Auditors. EDGE Auditors assess whether a building meets the requirements of the EDGE standard by investigation and evaluation of objective evidence. An EDGE Auditor reviews project documentation (design audit) and visits the project site (site audit) before making a certification recommendation to GBCI. EDGE Auditors must be independent from the developer/owner/project team of the project they audit. Learn how to become an EDGE Auditor.
Become an EDGE Expert
Want to be seen by building developers and owners as a trusted resource and adviser on EDGE certification? Become an EDGE Expert and expand your business and services in the marketplace. Here is what you need to know about the process.
Step 1: Review eligibility criteria
Step 2: Complete GBCI's EDGE Technical Workshop (EDGE Expert training)
View local in-person workshops
GBCI’s EDGE Technical Workshop is also available online on-demand in English or in Spanish for only $150, with multiple videos, quizzes and a practical exercise. On-demand training allows you to learn at your own pace, whenever and wherever you like.
Register in English | Regístrese en Español
Step 3: Pass the EDGE Exam
The exam is administered via computer and consists of 75 multiple-choice questions, with a 2.5-hour limit. All exams are closed-book. The exam is currently available in English, Chinese, Spanish, Vietnamese and Indonesian Bahasa. Be sure to check out our tips on how to pass the EDGE Exam on your first try and review your training materials and EDGE publications before sitting for the exam.
GBCI is offering free training to the next 1,000 EDGE Experts
We are offering free online EDGE Expert training for 1,000 individuals in 100 countries. The first 10 individuals in each country to earn their EDGE Expert credential are eligible. Review the applicable countries below.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
Egypt El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- The Gambia
- Kyrgyz Republic
- Papua New Guinea
- Republic of Congo
- Saint Lucia
- São Tomé and Príncipe
Saudi Arabia Serbia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Sudan
This list includes countries where GBCI administers EDGE certification that currently do not have a local EDGE Expert and where local training is not planned. The list excludes countries subject to U.S. trade sanctions. Countries will be removed from the list (indicated with the
strike through text) once 10 spots per country are filled or if local training is planned.
Free EDGE Expert Training Promotion: Rules and Regulations
- Registration for EDGE Expert training promotion is available until October 31, 2018. The first 10 individuals to earn an EDGE Expert credential in authorized countries will be eligible for free EDGE Technical Online Workshop (English version only) online course registration, worth $150 USD. Third-party testing fees paid to Prometric and any other travel or incidental costs are not included in the promotion.
- In order to participate, you must:
- Currently meet EDGE Expert candidate eligibility requirements. LEED APs are prequalified. If you are not a LEED AP, you must have a higher education qualification in a construction industry-related field or three years of experience working in the construction industry (as a skilled professional or tradesperson) and a higher education qualification (not necessarily in a construction industry-related field). See a list of applicable construction industry roles. If you have any questions on whether you meet these eligibility requirements, please email EDGE.
- Reside in one of the listed eligible countries. Only individuals residing in countries where GBCI administers EDGE certification, without any EDGE Experts, are eligible to participate, excluding countries subject to United States trade sanctions. The list is subject to change as individuals sign up for this promotion and as local training is planned. Up to 10 individuals may sign up per country. Please find the most up-to-date list above. You may be asked for proof of residency.
- Have a valid usgbc.org site account. You can create an account for free on the USGBC website in just a few moments.
- Approved participants must complete the following steps:
- Complete GBCI’s EDGE Technical Online Workshop in English within 45 days, including passing all five session quizzes and completing the practical and sales exercises. The course should take you approximately 6 hours in total to complete. Learn more about the course.
- Schedule & successfully pass your EDGE Exam within 90 days of completing training. The EDGE Exam is administered by Prometric (a third-party testing service) and currently costs $60 USD. The fee for candidates who schedule their exam on or after September 4, 2018 will be $100 USD. The fee paid to Prometric and any travel costs are not eligible for this promotion. A complete list of test center locations may be found at Prometric by clicking on the “Locate a Test Center” link. You may also take the EDGE Exam from the comfort of your home or office, as long as your workspace and computer meet the requirements specified in the Remotely Proctored Candidate Information Bulletin.
The EDGE Exam is administered via computer and consists of 75 multiple-choice questions with a 2.5-hour limit. All exams are closed-book. The exam is currently available in English, Chinese, Spanish, Vietnamese, and Indonesian Bahasa. Please contact IFC if you have any additional questions about the EDGE Exam.
- Sign off on IFC’s EDGE Expert agreement. IFC will contact you after you pass the EDGE Exam to issue your certificate of accreditation as a new EDGE Expert. Your contact details will also be included as one of the first EDGE Experts from your country of residence in EDGE Experts Around the World.
Participating individuals must agree to fulfill requirements after their EDGE Expert credential has been awarded and accepted, including: creating a public profile on usgbc.org, being listed on IFC’s online list of EDGE Experts, and participating in potential local press and media outreach.
Become an EDGE Auditor
Are you a current EDGE Expert and want to also become an EDGE Auditor? Here is what you need to know about the process.
Step 1: Review eligibility criteria and submit your application
EDGE Auditor candidates must meet all three criteria:
- Be a current EDGE Expert (including completing EDGE Expert training and passing the EDGE Exam).
- Higher education qualification in a construction industry related field.
- Three years of practical work experience in the construction industry. Note experience in green building certification (such as EDGE, LEED, WELL, GRIHA, BREEAM, DGNB, etc.), with at least one certified project is preferred.
- Architectural technologist
- Bid manager
- Building surveyor
- CAD technician
- Civil engineer
- Contracts manager
- Construction manager
- Electrical engineer
- Energy/environmental engineer
- Facilities manager
- Mechanical engineer
- Procurement and contracts management
- Quantity surveyor
- Site engineer
- Site manager
- Skilled tradesperson
- Structural engineer
GBCI reviews application and notifies you if you are approved.
Step 2: Complete GBCI's EDGE Auditor Candidate Workshop
- A live online EDGE Auditor Candidate Workshop is targeted for Q3 of 2018. No additional information is available at this time.
If you'd like to be emailed when future training is scheduled, please submit your EDGE Auditor application using the blue button above. Approved EDGE Auditor candidates will be notified via email when future training is scheduled.
Step 3: Sign EDGE Auditor Agreement with GBCI & begin auditing EDGE projects
- EDGE Auditor candidates that complete both the EDGE Technical Workshop and the EDGE Auditor Candidate Workshop and have passed the EDGE Exam are sent an EDGE Auditor Agreement.
- Sign and return your EDGE Auditor Agreement to GBCI.
- Submit your annual maintenance fee of $75 / INR 5,000.
- GBCI will consider you an ‘interim’ EDGE Auditor.
- Proactively market and sell your EDGE Auditor services. In addition, GBCI will list your name and email on our site so that potential clients may contact you directly.
- Start auditing and submitting projects in any country where GBCI administers EDGE certification.
- GBCI will review every project you submit and evaluate the quality of your work. After you meet GBCI’s quality expectations, you will be considered to be an ‘approved’ EDGE Auditor.
Step 4: Maintain your active EDGE Auditor status
- Maintain active status with a nominal annual maintenance fee of $75 / INR 5,000 and by completing at least one building project audit every two years; or attending a refresher training of at least 4 hours every two years; or retaking the exam, or undertaking another activity as determined by GBCI.
- You may provide EDGE Auditor services in any country where GBCI administers EDGE certification.