EDGE Experts & Auditors
What is an EDGE Expert?
EDGE Experts are professionals who help a developer, owner artand larger project team understand the EDGE standard, software, and certification system. The scope of an EDGE Expert’s work includes advice on green design and assistance with preparation of an application for EDGE certification. Learn more about the EDGE Expert role.
What is an EDGE Auditor?
Current EDGE Experts may apply to also become EDGE Auditors. EDGE Auditors assess whether a building meets the requirements of the EDGE standard by investigation and evaluation of objective evidence. An EDGE Auditor reviews project documentation (design audit) and visits the project site (site audit) before making a certification recommendation to GBCI. EDGE Auditors must be independent from the developer/owner/project team of the project they audit. Learn how to become an EDGE Auditor.
Become an EDGE Expert
Want to be seen by building developers and owners as a trusted resource and adviser on EDGE certification? Become an EDGE Expert and expand your business and services in the marketplace. Here is what you need to know about the process.
Step 1: Review eligibility criteria
LEED APs are prequalified. If you are not a LEED AP, you must have a higher education qualification in a construction industry related field or three years of experience working in the construction industry (as a skilled professional or tradesperson) AND a higher education qualification (not necessarily in a construction industry related field).
Step 2: Complete GBCI's EDGE Technical Workshop (EDGE Expert training)
Attend GBCI’s EDGE Technical Workshop. The workshop covers the basics of EDGE, the certification process, and how to use the EDGE software. It will also prepare EDGE Expert candidates to take the EDGE Exam.
View local in-person workshops
GBCI’s EDGE Technical Workshop is also available online on-demand in English or in Spanish (coming soon) for only $150, with multiple videos, quizzes and a practical exercise. On-demand training allows you to learn at your own pace, whenever and wherever you like.
REGISTER NOW IN ENGLISH | REGÍSTRESE AHORA EN ESPAÑOL (próximamente)
Step 3: Pass the EDGE Exam
You will receive instructions on how to sign up for the exam after completing training. The EDGE Exam costs $60 and is administered through Prometric testing centers. Be sure to check out our tips on how to pass the EDGE Exam on your first try and review your training materials and EDGE publications before sitting for the exam.
Become an EDGE Auditor
Are you a current EDGE Expert and want to also become an EDGE Auditor? Here is what you need to know about the process.
Step 1: Review eligibility criteria and submit your application
EDGE Auditor candidates must meet all three criteria:
- Be a current EDGE Expert (including completing EDGE Expert training and passing the EDGE Exam
- Higher education qualification in a construction industry related field
- Three years of practical work experience in the construction industry. Note experience in green building certification (such as EDGE, LEED, WELL, GRIHA, BREEAM, DGNB, etc.), with at least one certified project is preferred.
- Architectural technologist
- Bid manager
- Building surveyor
- CAD technician
- Civil engineer
- Contracts manager
- Construction manager
- Electrical engineer
- Energy/environmental engineer
- Facilities manager
- Mechanical engineer
- Procurement and contracts management
- Quantity surveyor
- Site engineer
- Site manager
- Skilled tradesperson
- Structural engineer
Submit your application
GBCI reviews application and notifies you if you are approved.
Step 2: Complete GBCI's EDGE Auditor Candidate Workshop
- A live online EDGE Auditor Candidate Workshop will be coming in the first half of 2018.
If you'd like to be emailed when future training is scheduled, please submit your EDGE Auditor application using the blue button above. Approved EDGE Auditor candidates will be notified via email when future training is scheduled.
Step 3: Sign EDGE Auditor Agreement with GBCI & begin auditing EDGE projects
- EDGE Auditor candidates that complete both the EDGE Technical Workshop and the EDGE Auditor Candidate Workshop and have passed the EDGE Exam are sent an EDGE Auditor Agreement.
- Sign and return your EDGE Auditor Agreement to GBCI.
- Submit your annual maintenance fee of $75 / INR 5,000.
- GBCI will consider you an ‘interim’ EDGE Auditor.
- Proactively market and sell your EDGE Auditor services. In addition, GBCI will list your name and email on our site so that potential clients may contact you directly.
- Start auditing and submitting projects in any country where GBCI administers EDGE certification.
- GBCI will review every project you submit and evaluate the quality of your work. After you meet GBCI’s quality expectations, you will be considered to be an ‘approved’ EDGE Auditor.
Step 4: Maintain your active EDGE Auditor status
- Maintain active status with a nominal annual maintenance fee of $75 / INR 5,000 and by completing at least one building project audit every two years; or attending a refresher training of at least 4 hours every two years; or retaking the exam, or undertaking another activity as determined by GBCI.
- You may provide EDGE Auditor services in any country where GBCI administers EDGE certification.